come stroll among the wildflowers

Sunday, February 13, 2011

When I Grow Up

I guess I've finally gotten around to being what I've always wanted to be...a writer.  I have always loved telling stories.  I caught this disease from my Grandmother Martha.  Actually all the women in my family have it.  They tell stories about the long ago past and what hilarious thing happened at work this morning.  Sometimes the stories bring tears as well as laughter.

I began my adventure into the world of authorship with a children's story called "Raccoons in the Corn," published through CreateSpace and with the help of local illustrator, Josh Finley, and graphic designer, Shawn Honea.  The Raccoons have done well locally ( around 250), but not so hot on Amazon (about 40).  I have had much positive feedback, but hubby says, "Who's going to walk up to you and say that your book really stinks?"  He keeps me grounded.

I am working on four more picture books and have revised a color book for kids called "Grandma's Prairie Patchwork."  My husband Duane and I are starting a home based publishing company called Prairie Productions.  I will create, he will take care of the business end of things.

I have decided to start posting some stories loosely connected by the lives of my favorite dogs.  The plan is to title the resulting collection Dog Years.  I have several chapters "finished."  I will start posting soon, but first I have to figure out how to get them from my old pc to my new IMac.  I would love to build a community of readers and writers, commentators, critics.  I'm a newbie, so bear with me.  Later, J

No comments:

Post a Comment